Friday, January 05, 2007

tacit knowledge and writing peer-reviewed articles

There is alot of baggage that goes with writing peer-reviewed articles. It is very hard to elucidate these even though I'm still working through the process. Also, since it has been a while since I've had to write, I may have forgotten some of this information.

* I've discovered that if I think it will take me X amount of time to read, review, write, collate, etc. then I should just double or triple that estimate;
* I was told the first article will always be the longest and hardest to write. Succeeding articles should take less time;
* I was also told that if the reading you are undertaking for the background of your article continually expands, thats ok, you are doing a good job (phew!);
* The main point to keep at the core of all you are doing is the focus of the article;
* Yes, your hair may whiten;
* No, you can't ignore the piles of articles, miscellaneous paper, napkins, torn envelopes and to do lists on your desk, table, floor, chairs, file cabinets, cushions and peeking out from boxes, desk drawers, file cabinets and niches where the dust bunnies have come home to roost;
* Oh, did I mention housework is pretty much nonexistent?;
* Constantly questioning what you are doing isn't unusual;
* Tenure or permanence really is a form of organizational control to achieve the "model" employee for the simple fact that there is no time to do or be anything but the requirements for tenure/permanence found in your collective agreement;
* As good as you think your filing system is, something will go missing.

I'm sure there is alot more locked up in my brain...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home