Wednesday, January 23, 2013

apologia for being boring

I snickered as I read this blog entry on "rock star/reality tv celebrity librarians", especially when I read the following instruction (which I agree with): 1) Never talk about libraries or library work. Libraries are boring, especially if you work in one...and realized oops, I'm guilty of ignoring this instruction.

So here I am, continuing to write in my blog about professional identity. I guess the difference is I KNOW it is boring, and of relevance to a very small portion of the library world, maybe .000001% if I cared? But the topic is of interest to me and I need somewhere to flesh out my ideas for my research.  So please y'all, this is my apologia re: the instruction above: forgive me my soapbox and don't forget to turn me off or tune me out if you're not interested....

And don't worry, I won't be offended if you don't read my published research either. I perform research as my own curiosity drives me to this research, to poke at things that niggle at me, like an itch requiring a good scratch. And the demands of my profession require publishing of me. I don't research and publish to add content to our body of knowledge that is meaningful to the broadest swath of librarians, I publish at a vanity level...to better understand the things that intrigue me irrespective of what interests you, as publishing adds a rigour to my musings that isn't present if I just read. Thus I shall continue to ignore such an instruction...after all, the blogger above just blogged on librarians...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home